Monday, May 20, 2013

Society...

http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/extwidget/openGraph/wid/1_iflwear7

The clip attached is an excellent view from the Ellen show on how society makes women feel today.  As many of you have heard the CEO of Abercrombie an Fitch has expressed is desire to rid his stores of all sizes over a 10 in womens' clothing.  He says that anyone over a size ten is, overweight and not cool enough to wear his brand, to that I say he's an ass.

I will never purchase another Abercrombie and Fitch item as long as their stores are open, not that I've shopped there in years anyway, but I am the size demographic they sale to.  I am in the percentage of women who are underweight and even that causes problems for me.  I understand that women are very sensitive about their weight and size, but let's be real ladies, we are the way God made us.  Large, small, medium, tall, short, thin, big boned...do any of those really mean anything?

How about we start looking at our attributes starting from the inside?  I am kind, considerate, loving, patient, motherly, empathetic...those are the words we should be focused on.  Instead society dictates that we should worry about our weight, how are hair looks, how are clothes fit, how are makeup looks...they only want us to focus on the outward appearance.  Well, I'm over it.  I'm over worrying about how other people view me.  I'm over worrying about looking bad in something that I may love to wear.  I'm over killing myself to be a certain weight, to wear a certain article of clothing, to wear the right make up colors or the right hair color...or whatever else it is that society thinks it can dictate about me.

I am a mother of four, I am a college graduate, I have been to war, I have not been able to shower everyday on some occasions, I am someone's daughter, sister, mother, friend, wife...I am a person.  I am not a number on a scale, I am not the person required to wear a certain brand of clothing and I am most definitely not a person who will ever look at another individual and base my opinion of them on how they look.

I will teach my children that looks fade, personalities grow.  Hair color and makeup change, the inside of a person does not.  People will always try to fit in, but it's time to start teaching our younger generations that fitting in is not all it's cracked up to be.  Being yourself is so much more important.

So ladies join me in my cause to stop purchasing products from a brand that says we must look a certain way to wear their clothing.  Join me in remembering what really makes each of us beautiful and different.  Just me in letting Mr. CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch know that his opinion is not important, his store is not important, his clothing line is not important and most of all that the way he sees women is NOT IMPORTANT.  Let's stop allowing society to dictate to us and let's start dictating to society what we will and will not accept from others!!

No comments:

Post a Comment