Thursday, May 16, 2013

Karma...

Yesterday I talked about kids being sick, well maybe not sick, but anyway...today my youngest is sick.  I'm calling out karma today because this is my payback for what I posted...I'm pretty sure of it.  He said he wasn't feeling well last night and his temp was 102.5...high right?  Well, today he still isn't feeling any better, so we're sitting on the couch together with the dog between us watching T.V.

Yep I spoke too candidly yesterday...the funny thing is that I'm okay staying home with him today.   There are some things around the house that I needed to get to anyway...that I will as soon as I get off the computer and get motivated.  As parents it really is our jobs to take care of our children and help them to feel better, but there are times you just aren't able to do that.

My older two boys are type 1 diabetics...no they can't be cured, they can't ever not take insulin, and there is no miracle cure.  If you believe there is please refrain from sharing your opinions with me.  I've been doing this for nine years so I'm pretty confident in what I'm saying.  My oldest son was diagnosed at age 4...at the time we thought there was no family history, but years later we found out that wasn't necessarily true.

You could call his diagnosis a Mother's intuition.  The only true symptoms he had was an increase in thirst and significant increase in urination.  Nothing else, no weight loss, no sickness, nothing.  I was certain though that something was wrong so I took him in and my suspicions were confirmed.  the pediatrician asked me that day if we wanted to go into the hospital that night or take him to the endocrinologist the next morning.  He was not in DKA and at the time I knew very little about what  T1 entailed.  I opted to take him home for one more night of normality.  I allowed him to pick out his dinner and I hugged and loved on him all night.  I knew that the next day would be the end of his "normal" childhood.  It was, from that day forward everything in our lives changed.

You may say we were "lucky" to get diagnosed so early, but I don't think any family living with T1 would think of themselves as lucky.  Yes it could be worse, but it could also be better.  In November of 2009 we got  our second shock...my middle son was diagnosed with T1 as well.  Almost the same situation as his brother.  No sickness, no weight loss, just an increase in thirst and urination.  I was now the Mother of two T1's.  I thought my life had changed before, this was an even bigger shock.

I have not really slept a full night since 2005, yeah you read that right, 2005.  It's been awhile.  I now leave with a dark cloud over me, simply waiting for my youngest son to be diagnosed.  You may say that that's no way to live, but when you already have 2 T1's, you can of have an expectation that the third will be diagnosed as well.  As a family though we are in this together.  This is not something that keeps us from living, it just makes our living a little different.  I am confident that my boys will live long prosperous lives and that God has a plan for each of them. He will watch over them, protect them, and allow them to grow.  I am confident in all of these things.

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in my heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28-29 (NASB)

1 comment:

  1. I think it is perfectly acceptable to use the D card once in a while. This stuff is hard!!

    ReplyDelete