Sunday, June 16, 2013

The things they never tell you...

When you suddenly become the parent of a T1 there are so many things no one tells you...it's kind of like becoming a parent all over again.  The doctors and nurses do an excellent job of explaining insulin to carb ratios and basal rates, how to treat highs and lows before they get out of hand, how to use the glucagon if needed, but they don't tell you a lot of other important things.  Things that only another parent of a T1 would understand.  They don't tell you about the heartbreak when you hear the diagnosis for the first time and you look at your sweet baby and know that their lives will never be the same.  They don't tell you about the daily, often hourly struggle to maintain the appropriate blood sugar.  They don't tell you about the sleepless nights and constant fear.  They don't tell you about the struggle to give your child(ren) a "normal" life.  They can't tell you which foods will make your child spike or that the same amount of insulin today will react very differently tomorrow.  They can't tell you about what it's like to have your child fall down in front of you while having  a seizure and the momentary fear that you can't remember what to do.  Only another T1 parent can share these experiences with you.
The day W was diagnosed I was devastated.  At the time I couldn't show that because here was my precious 4 year old sitting there watching me and I had to be strong for him.  I'm not entirely sure that I've ever let myself fall apart since his diagnosis...I can't.  The night of his first seizure...he has had 14 since he was diagnosed...I thought my world had stopped spinning.  We were visiting my parents and in an unusual move for him he asked to sleep with his Dad and I instead of his grandparents.  He fell asleep between the two of us and at some point a storm started outside.  I remember waking to a flash of lighting and feeling him move behind me...I thought the lighting must have startled him, but when I turned to look at him he was in a full blown seizure.  I quickly woke his Dad up and told him to get the glucagon, I yelled for my parents to call 911 and I held my baby on his side.  When his Dad came flying in the room with a bag of sugar I realized that I was the only one who could take charge of the situation.  I can laugh about that now, not so much that night.  I ran to get the glucagon and some how managed to remember all those minute details needed in order to get him the shot he needed.  I kept hearing the doctor's voice in my head saying "He'll come back around within a few minutes and will probably get sick".  He didn't come back around though.  He never opened his eyes.  The paramedics came and gave him another dose and within the 25 minute ride to the hospital he received two more.  I'm not telling you this to scare you, although it should scare you enough to keep you prepared, I'm telling you this because this is the new life you have woken up into.  W was fine within a few hours and the next day we went home.  He had no memory of the event, or of the 13 subsequent seizures he has had since then, we're lucky that way I suppose.
The day L was diagnosed I did fall apart.  I didn't fall apart because of his diagnosis, I fell apart because I could not be there for him.  I think a part of me had been waiting for the other shoe to fall.  A part of me knew that we would end up with more that one T1.  L has not suffered from a seizure at all.  As a matter of fact if he falls below 80 he will come to let you know immediately.  He is able to detect his falling BG, which I am greatful for.  L is the kid who tracks everything himself, because he needs that kind of control in his life. He's one of a kind:).
To say that a T1 diagnosis is a life-changing event would be an understatement...it alters the way you look at everything around you.  The amazing thing is that it is manageable.  You can live a long and happy life with it. You can do all the things you want to do, you just have to have a little more patience.  My boys being diagnosed changes our lives...in more ways than I can count it changed them for the better.  While it's important to remember all those things they don't tell you about...the most important thing is to keep control of your fears Mom and Dad and allow them to be the people they are meant to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment