Friday, June 28, 2013

I am the face of PTSD...

If you saw me walking down the street, you would  not see the scars.  If you stopped to talk to me, you would not see the wounds.  If you asked me how I was, you would hear that I am fine.

I am the face of PTSD.

I am the mother who has to be strong for her kids.  I am the wife who has to be there for her husband.  I am the NCO who has to be at work each day.

I am also the face of PTSD.

I have been beaten, drug down, overwhelmed, terrified and forced to face my own mortality.  I have seen the dead on the battle field and the injured who were headed home.

I am the face of PTSD.

I have been in mental places I never thought possible.  I have feared for my life.  I have been to the bottom on more than one occasion.  I have spent nights in the hospital for my own safety.

I am the face of PTSD.

I have cried, screamed, curled into a ball.  I have anxiety that leaves me feeling out of control.  I have nightmares that keep me awake.  I fear that every day will be my last.

I am the face of PTSD.

I have overcome many obstacles, with many more to come.  I have relived my fears over and over. I have come home from the front lines to learn to live a new life.

I am the face of PTSD.

I am medicated for the safety of myself and sometimes those around me.  I am medicated to sleep at night.  I am medicated to enable myself to function.

I am the face of PTSD.

I am a wife, a mother, a sister, a daughter.  I am a military member, a friend, a confidant.

I am the face of PTSD.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for serving. Best wishes for your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. And, going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing and choosing to live each day. What a great gift you are to your kids and husband. You are the face of bravery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your awesome words of encouragement! Please like and follow my page for more posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. KZ.
    You are courageous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete