Thursday, July 11, 2013

Rainy Days...

Do you ever sit in your house listening to the rain?  I love the sound of rain and it tends to provide me with a backdrop for my mood on those days.  I've found that when it's raining my ability to overcome my depression decreases.  I want to sit in my house, under a blanket, curled up with my dogs and just sleep.  Rainy days are best for that.

Today was one of those days. A day I would have loved to simply sit in my house, unfortunately I had to go to work.  I had to shower, get dressed and show up at work.  This is difficult on good days, imagine what it's like on the bad ones.  I  get exhausted from simply pretending to be okay.  I hate the small talk and the fake smiling.  I hate the time spent attempting to make everyone around me feel better.

I obviously can't go in and say how I'm really feeling, that would put them all on edge.  I can't answer the "how are you today" question with total honesty.  I just smile and pretend.  That seems to make others feel better.  I know my issue shouldn't be about trying to make others feel better, but I don't want to make them feel like they need to coddle me or pretend to want to listen to my issues.

Seriously, I have a therapist who sits and listens to my problems.  I have friends who I can vent to and a husband who I tell how I'm really feeling.  I don't need to share that with the people I work with.  I don't need them to know that on most days I wish I could simply sit and cry, that my therapy on Monday's is so draining that I just want to go home and go to bed, that there are days I want to scream at the world and rant about the unfairness of my situation.  Those are the things I don't want to share.

I don't want to be seen as vulnerable.  I want to be seen as the competent person I once was.  I don't feel like that person, but it would be nice to feel like it for at least one day.

Eventually I may get back to that, but we'll see.  For now I will continue to smile and pretend so others don't feel badly.  I'll save my true feelings for rainy days!


No comments:

Post a Comment